With airlines trying to identify new revenue streams to sustain their business, they are now charging for checked luggage bags. American Airlines recently published their fees for checked bags which will cost a traveler $15 for a single checked bag and $25 for the second. Moreover, bags weighing between 70 lbs–100 lbs will cost a traveler $50 per bag! * So how does the traveler avoid paying such fees? The answer is to pack all you need in a carry on. While this seems to be an easy solution, it’s one that most travelers find difficult to accomplish.
When I took my first business trip it was to Cologne, Germany for approximately five weeks. During the five weeks, I visited various cities and moved to different hotels. Not having much experience in packing, I basically packed everything I owned in two HUGE suitcases. Having to schlep these suitcases with me through numerous cities, proved to be a great learning experience for my future travel endeavors. I now only bring a small Pullman that can be placed in the overhead compartment of any aircraft, domestic or international. I pack the same quantity of items whether I’m going away for one week or three.
Here are a few tips to help you travel light and look chic wherever you go.
- Keep your wardrobe choices to a single color palette as this will eliminate the need to pack multiple items in various colors (i.e., shoes, handbags, accessories)
- Remember to follow the TSA guidelines for all your toiletry needs. This complete travel kit is great for domestic and international travel and will ensure you make it through security effortlessly.
- For women, dresses are a great way to travel light and chic. Dresses are a single item (not taking up much space in your bag) and can be accessorized to either dress them up or dress them down.
- Layer, Layer Layer! Layering your travel wardrobe helps to leverage each piece for a longer period of time.
- Wear one of your outfits or pieces of an outfit on the plane. You are not running a marathon so the pieces will not get dirty and a result they can be worn again.
- Accessories are a great way to instantly change an outfit from day to evening so one dress turns into two different outfits. Since accessories are relatively small, they will take up less room in your luggage.
Most travelers don’t spend a lot of time thinking about their travel wardrobe and as a result, they over pack. The “thinking” aspect of packing is the most time consuming component but if you incorporate the above tips into your thought process, you will be able to avoid having to check your luggage and still have a complete wardrobe for your trip.
*Check individual airline luggage policies and fees since they vary for domestic and international travel.